Happy 2021 Fortnightly Club Members,
We want to extend a heartfelt thank you to those who supported the Fortnightly Club last year.
We are thrilled to welcome five new members who joined during our hiatus since March 2020, and we look forward to getting to know them in person as soon as possible! Welcome Renee Simms Frank, Rosemary Hilbert, Anushka Paul, Marjorie Callahan, and Alice Campbell.
Our Club is dedicated to volunteerism, fundraising, community service and outreach. During the pandemic, we managed to keep ourselves busy, support Twin Maples, and be active participants in the community in the following ways:
- Donated hundreds of pounds of food to GRACE (Giving and Receiving Assistance for our Community’s Essentials), the food pantry in Summit serving about 100 families pre-pandemic and increased to serving over 500 families mid-pandemic and ongoing.
- Provided scholarships totaling $10,000 to three worthy, hard working young local ladies who started college this past fall.
- Worked over 300 hours with Summit’s most vulnerable populations through GRACE and Summit Warm Hearts (Summit’s center for the homeless and food insecure).
- Partnered with Coldwell Banker Realty’s Summit office for our annual MITTEN TREE where we collected and donated 113 mittens, gloves, hats, scarves, and socks.
- Hosted monthly Book Club meetings via Zoom.
- Hosted several safe and socially distanced activities, including:
- June: Twin Maples yard clean-up/gardening/planting with cocktails and boxed dinners on the clubhouse veranda.
- September: “Ladies Night Outside” It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere cocktails and boxed dinners on the clubhouse veranda.
- November: Twin Maples fall cleanup and gardening/planting bulbs/transplanting bushes.
- December: Holiday Cheer Cocktail Party via Zoom.
As soon as the weather improves even slightly, we have some additional ideas for gathering safely. It might be fun to have coffee or mulled wine in the Twin Maples parking lot, no? We also welcome any ideas you have – let us know your thoughts.
The Board has been Zoom meeting regularly to assess our situation, from both a Club perspective and a financial perspective for Twin Maples. Since we have not had the opportunity to host our annual fundraisers, we need to be creative to sponsor Scholarships 2021. We lost most of our 2020 rental income so we’ve had to tighten our belt a bit. One of our dance instructors has been back for a couple of months, and we have a few events booked for the spring, so things are looking up.
Lastly, the board thought it would be fun and interesting to offer a bit of Club history over the next few months along with “Meet the Board.” Stay tuned for the next installment for some fun tidbits. Until then, how about reading “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” and participating in the February 25th FC Book Club meeting via Zoom? We’d love to have you join us.
** PLEASE NOTE: We continue to collect non-perishable food items for GRACE in the plastic bin inside the back door. Also, look out for an email offering two additional opportunities to serve our community through Summit Warm Hearts, either volunteering as a host, or providing lunches or dinners.
The Board of the Fortnightly Club of Summit
Terry Andrews, Eileen Rath, Lorraine Bowyer, Lynn Reed, Lori Dahl, Susie Hoecker, Joyce Zemsky, Sandra McTernan, Dina Rose, Emkarr Meehan, Amanda Ford, Hope Sferra, Jennifer Richter