The Fortnightly Club Scholarship
Congratulations to our 2020 Scholarship Recipients!
- Julissa Lopez, attending Monmouth University
- Michelle Yang, attending University of Michigan, The Sherry Rawson Memorial Scholarship
- Elsbeth Rogers, attending Washington University in St. Louis
These young scholars were awarded a total of $10,000 for their college education. In past years, funds for the scholarship were raised from The Fortnightly Club’s annual spring luncheon. However, this year’s fundraiser luncheon was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic lockdown. Instead, the Club hosted a “Stay Home Scholarship Luncheon” where members stayed home but still donated to the Club’s Scholarship Fund.
“We feel fortunate to raise the funds to award three scholarships this year. Many thanks go out to the generosity of our club members and donors during these trying times”, said Terry Andrews, The Fortnightly Club president.
Additional funding for the scholarship was provided by The Sherry Rawson Scholarship and The Martha Moxley Foundation.
About The Fortnightly Club Scholarship
Helping young women as they begin their adult lives is a significant way for The Fortnightly Club to truly give back to the community. Each year, college scholarships are awarded to deserving young women who meet the criteria that they are graduating seniors from Summit High School, planning to attend a four year college, and majoring in a professional, business or scientific field. The award is based on academic merit, community service and financial need.
Funds for this annual scholarship award is raised from the club’s annual spring luncheon. Held at the Canoe Brook Country Club, the luncheon is attended by Fortnightly Club members, friends and the community at large.
A separate scholarship, the Sherry Rawson Scholarship, was created in 2014 in honor of our beloved former member and scholarship chairwoman. Upon her death in December 2013, Sherry requested that memorial donations from her family and friends be given to the Fortnightly Club Scholarship fund. Consequently, the Club created this additional scholarship in her honor. Club member support of this initiative is much appreciated. The Club hopes to continue this memorial scholarship in perpetuity through additional donations give with annual membership dues.
The Fortnightly Club thanks The Martha Moxley Foundation whose mission is to support scholarships and student loans. This Foundation was created by Fortnightly Club member Dorthy Moxley in memory of her daughter Martha.
Fortnightly Club Scholarships Awarded
- Gabriela Saumell Rodriguez attending Montclair State University, The Sherry Rawson Memorial Scholarship
- Kathleen Monaghan attending University of Texas Austin
- Greta Hartwyk attending Syracuse University
- Sarah Flaherty attending Fordham University
- Akea Poticano (Union County College), The Sherry Rawson Scholarship
- Julie-Anna Brown (Middlesex County College)
- Maia Sirabien (Elon University)
- Kayla Balsley (University of Maine)
- Gabriella Mejia (Saint Peter’s University)
- Amanda Fonseca (University of Delaware), The Sherry Rawson Scholarship
- Karen Arias (Franklin & Marshall)
- Stephanie Chaves (University of Delaware)
- Ermani Miles (Seton Hall), The Sherry Rawson Scholarship
- Megan Picado (Rutgers University)
- Maria Sanchez-Najera (Fairleigh Dickinson)
- Kerina Dinkins (Rutgers University), The Sherry Rawson Scholarship
- Taylor Ford (Catholic University)
- Jualianna Fusco (The University of New Hampshire)
- Eboni Foushee (Centenary College), The Sherry Rawson Scholarship
- Hayley Dalton (Eton University)
- Dana Marie Sutherland (American University)
- Alexandra Hoesley (Rutgers University)
- Gabrilla Stern (Rutgers University)
- Janine Barr (Gettysberg College)
- Janae Cromartie (Bowdoin College)
- Igra Arshad (Rutgers University)
- Brighid Lee-Egan (Culinary Institute)
- Jennifer Callahan (Soka University of America)
- Danielle Scott (Morgan State University)
- Hayley Morgan (Wake Forest University)
- Erica Parks (Rutgers University)
- Gina Kim